|Spring entry||Summer or fall entry|
|Family Financial Planning, Gerontology, and Youth Development specializations||October 1*||March 1*|
*Applications are accepted and reviewed year-round, but these dates ensure students are admitted prior to when course registration begins.
Students can expect to receive an admissions decision in two to three weeks after all application materials are received.
Minimum admission requirements
- Iowa State requires a bachelor’s or higher degree from a regionally-accredited college or university prior to beginning graduate studies.
- At minimum, a cumulative grade point average equivalent to at least a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (B grade) is required for unrestricted graduate admission. Students who fall below the 3.0 required GPA are still encouraged to apply and will still be considered for admission.
- Undergraduate and graduate GPA will be calculated separately and from all undergraduate and/or graduate coursework completed.
All graduate degree and certificate applications will require:
- Application for admissions through Iowa State’s Office of Admissions
- Transcript(s) from both undergraduate and graduate coursework sent to:
- Iowa State University
Office of Admissions
100 Enrollment Services Center
2433 Union Drive
Ames, IA 50011-2042
- Iowa State University
- Two letters of recommendation (complete within the application portal)
- Statement of purpose (complete or upload within application portal)
- Resume (upload within application portal)
*The GRE is NOT required for admission into the online MFCS programs.
How to apply
Students apply for admission with the Office of Admissions, Graduate College, and Family and Consumer Sciences program through one application.
Follow the steps below to complete your application:
- Go to the APPLICATION page and click Apply Now.
- Complete the sections on the Online Application Account page to create account and begin your application.
- On the PROGRAM INFORMATION page asking for major choice, select the following:
- Major: Family and Consumer Sciences (GPIDEA – distance)
- Degree: M FCS for masters or CERT for certificate
- Distance will autofill as the program type.
- Teaching and research assistantships are not available in the online MFCS programs.
- First Choice: Select appropriate specialization, please only select one.
- On the same page, provide answers to the four questions listed as your “statement of purpose”. You may want to type your responses in a separate document and then copy and paste in this space. If you prefer, you can instead complete your statement of purpose in a word document and upload in Step 6 below.
- *TIP*: The faculty who review your application are very interested in the responses you provide in your statement of purpose. Review your responses carefully and ensure all questions are fully answered before submitting.
- *TIP*: Pick professional recommenders who can speak to your experience and ability to be successful in a graduate program. Recommenders could be previous or current employers, colleagues, professors or instructors, coaches or teachers, etc. Personal/character recommendations are discouraged.
- *TIP*: Iowa State’s online application system allows you to track when your online recommendations are submitted, as well as change recommenders, edit e-mail addresses of recommenders, and send reminders to your recommenders.
- Statement of purpose (only if not answered within application)
- Unofficial transcripts (if available)